Welcome to Messiah Christian Church’s Pastoral Search
In 1988, our church was planted by our current and founding Pastor Dan Moore and his wife, Rosemary. Their vision was for a loving and warm, interdenominational church where people would grow into loving, mature and equipped followers of Christ and are then deployed for the sake of family, community and global transformation. Messiah pursues this vision through its generous, creative and deeply entrepreneurial spirit; we identify needs and develop creative ways to meet them.
The current church membership is composed of 150 active year-round congregants who represent every demographic group. Our mantra, “Where People Grow,” captures our focus on spiritual growth through our unique discipleship initiatives. New folks who come in are understood and accepted for where they are in their own spiritual journey, and then, if they desire, they join into a spiritual growth process that is right for them. It sounds cliché to say that a church is a family, but it’s really so true about Messiah. The church is poised for enormous expansion and as a result of its focus on spiritual growth, a strong foundation of mature, unified believers with a clear vision has been laid.
The current church building sits on 22 acres on Route One on the Wells/Kennebunk line right along Maine’s breathtaking seacoast, and includes a 200-seat sanctuary, fellowship and prayer areas, numerous classrooms and prayer rooms and a fully equipped recreation center. For more info on our church and living in Wells, Maine, click on these links.
Our desire is for a senior pastor who is a humble person of prayer and is a strong, creative and vibrant servant leader. This person or couple will be looking for an opportunity to build on our strong foundation of disciple making, is excited about seeing people’s lives transformed by Jesus and sees the church on mission to our community. We are looking for a senior pastor who has a mentor or spiritual accountability and has experienced their own journey to the heart of Jesus, has been changed, and has, in turn, walked alongside others in their spiritual journey. The senior pastor must have a strong commitment to the expositional preaching of the Word of God with relevance and vibrancy, can effectively reach out to community innovatively, including through our recreation center. They will work collaboratively and effectively at all levels of the church: with our wonderful Board of Trustees, our Elders, our ministry leadership teams and the congregation as a whole. Our church is extremely relational; the expectation is that our new pastor will love people and have a willingness and desire to invite others into their home.
Qualifications of our new Senior Pastor
- The Senior Pastor will have a demonstrated record of strong leadership. They will have a performance history of working successfully with superiors, boards, other leaders and subordinates/volunteers.
- While education is important and we would like to see a bachelor’s degree, and master’s level work is desired, a lifetime of growing intimacy with Jesus, personal, exegetical study and the experience of being discipled and discipling others are essential to us.
- The candidate must have five to ten years of experience in church, parachurch, or other ministry with ever increasing responsibility and growth. We are open to a non-vocational person with a business background who has extensive experience in leadership and preaching and teaching in their local church.
- The new pastor must demonstrate and foster the biblical values of grace, humility, hospitality, transparency, and accountability and appreciate humor, and
- Above all things, the new pastor must know that they are called to lead Messiah and embrace its current vision, while also envisioning the future, firmly rooted in the conviction that with God all things are truly possible. They must also possess a worldview, theological doctrine, and core values (we call them our Stakes in the Ground) that matches those held by Messiah.
Please take these next steps if you are interested in applying
If you are interested in making an impact on the kingdom through Messiah, please submit a cover letter and your resume (nothing else, please) to us by email to
or by mail to:
Messiah Christian Church, P.O. Box 526,
Wells, Maine 04090.